Last week, Maintex held the first installment of the Maintex Leadership Series, an exclusive seminar providing leadership perspectives and education for our valued customers. Guests were treated to a luncheon at the DoubleTree in Commerce, CA as they learned all about Worker's Compensation from the Honorable Patricia Frisch (Ret.).Judge Frisch is a recently retired Administrative Law judge who specialized for two decades in Workers Compensation law. She provided valuable insight and tips for navigating the complex workers compensation system, including best practices and common mistakes. During her talk, Judge Frisch outlined some of the most important questions to ask in the face of a Worker's Compensation claim. She explained how to be proactive throughout the process and how to share the right information with the right people.
If you're facing a Worker's Compensation claim, here are some of the questions you should be prepared to answer:
- What is the employee's employment status?
- How was the employee oriented and how was their knowledge documented?
- Is there clear signage on your premises? Have safety meetings been held?
- How was the injury reported and treated? How was it documented?
- Is modified work available and is the work within the doctor’s release?
She reiterated that you should be mindful about how you share and store information:
- Notify the insurance company of any correspondence with the applicant’s attorney. Do not tell or give the applicant’s attorney anything without speaking to the insurance company first.
- Keep records of communication with the insurance company in a Workers’ Compensation file, not in the employee’s file.
- Always cooperate with the court. Be professional and patient.
- Do not discuss the case with any of the witnesses. Do not call the injured worker about the case.
In the end, she reminded the attendees not to take the outcome personally - to always listen to the advice of the insurance company and do what is best for all.
The Clean Up
The Maintex Leadership Series had a strong start, with the Honorable Patricia Frisch (Ret.) speaking and answering questions about Worker's Compensation. If you want to be notified about upcoming events, join our mailing list so we can keep you in the loop.